View Single Post
Old 12-15-2023, 03:25 PM   #63
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Technically Potomac Yard is also served by the Yellow Line. And the walk from the Metro station is still only about 250 m—around half of the walk in Calgary from Victoria Park/Stampede Station to the Saddledome.

That said, yes absolutely it suuuuuuuuuucks as compared to the ease of getting to Gallery Place. For those Flames fans and others who've never been to a Caps game, the Metro station quite literally sits right underneath the arena: you just get off the train, go up to street level and BAM! you're there.

I also think this is still just a ploy to extract more concessions out of DC, and that they still end up at a renovated Capital One Arena. Leonsis is a parasite just looking for VA to give him a handout. His biggest complaints—"the worst arena deal in pro sports"—are that he has to (gasp!) pay his ####ing mortgage and pay to maintain the building he owns: that doesn't just disappear if he moves the Caps and Wizards to a new arena in Alexandria.

If the Caps/Wizards do move I wouldn't put it past him to go for a nuclear option with respect to Capital One Arena though: pay off the mortgage, then just stop paying the (land) lease payments to DC. What're they gonna do? The only thing they can do at that point is seize the building from him, which he'd quite happily let them have at this point.
Fair enough! I usually end up in a car when I'm out that way (usually at the Target which is what Potomac Yard is in a lot of people's minds).

Totally agree with your take on Leonsis. He is a complete parasite. I really wish José Andrés wanted to own an NHL team... That would be an owner that truly stood by his word!
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote