View Single Post
Old 12-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #16953
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We could also look at reducing the number of years of study required to become a doctor. Students in Europe do six years of post-secondary to become a doctor, versus the four years undergraduate degree + four years medical school model in North America. I have a hard time believing doctors in Switzlerland, the Netherlands, and Denmark are less qualified to practice medicine than North American doctors.
med school in Calgary is 3 years

I agree the undergrad degree qualification doesn't necessarily impact med school /doctor readiness- but most med schools in Canada don't actually require an undergrad degree its just more or less the norm (due in part to the level of competition to get in to be fair)

a few points about increasing med school enrollment. First I will long maintain for the most part this is not being held back directly by selfish docs trying to choke out competitors. most docs (in most specialties- there are exceptions) are at the stage that they would welcome the help, not fear competition financial or otherwise

we do have to keep in mind though that training med students (at all stages- classroom, wards, clinics) is not only expensive but labour intensive and you are often asking the same docs who are flat out right now anyways to take that on- some don't want to, most are willing but they do have capacity issues of their own
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote