View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 11:59 AM   #85
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Actually, I never did mention any one group. That was you. I placed the blame at the feet of the institutions for their poor handling of these groups and then using bad structures like DEI to try and force acceptance. Look at what I posted again.

"The momentum of the swing was leveraged by every queer sub-culture and fractured it into too many facets for people to grasp. Worse, the cultures began to be rammed down the throats of everyone with forced diversity, equity, and inclusion programs.

Right here, you blame 'every queer subculture' for leveraging the 'momentum of the swing' and your statement about blaming the institutions is disingenuous as it is the marginalized people AT those institutions who are responsible for creating and implementing the DEIJ (I don't know why you keep leaving the 'J' off) programs.

The rest of your post is basically the same argument that the Alabama clergy put forth in their April 12, 1963 open letter "A Call for Unity"

Quote:
We recognize the natural impatience of people who feel that their hopes are slow in being realized. But we are convinced that these demonstrations are unwise and untimely. ... we believe this kind of facing of issues can best be accomplished by citizens of our own metropolitan area ... meeting with their knowledge and experience of the local situation. All of us need to face that responsibility and find proper channels for its accomplishment. ... Just as we formerly pointed out that "hatred and violence have no sanction in our religious and political tradition." We also point out that such actions as incite to hatred and violence, however technically peaceful those actions may be, have not contributed to the resolution of our local problems. ... When rights are consistently denied, a cause should be pressed in the courts and in negotiations among local leaders, and not in the streets.

Dr. King responded more eloquently than I possibly could in Letter From a Birmingham Jail.

Quote:
We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct action campaign that was "well timed" in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that "justice too long delayed is justice denied."
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post: