View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 04:05 PM   #34
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you can point to one reason why there is increasing backlash against the LGBTQ+ community. Like what is happening in Russia is probably quite different that what is happening in North America. Russia has always been extreme against that sort of thing.

In North America, I think there is a backlash against the mainstreaming of LGBTQ+ stuff from conservative people who are resistant to change. Anytime there is a cultural shift in society, there are going to be people who resist it. I don't know how you avoid it, I think it just take times. It's a fine line because the more you try to enforce policies to facilitate the cultural shift, the stronger the backlash becomes.

In BC recently, the government has increased available resources and grants to companies that hire people who self-identify. This isn't just limited to people who self-identify as a visible minority, but also people who self-identify as LGBTQ+. This caused a backlash from the usual "they're taking our jerbs" people. Then you have people opposed to school curriculums that implement LGBTQ+ topics to young children. I am not saying doing so is right or wrong, but it has created a lot of debate and backlash.