Old 12-03-2023, 11:02 AM   #25
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I agree and support this statement.

... and now to ask...

That said one of the issues is that these days people have to either be "for" or "against" anything, including this LGB... I think fundamentally that's a problem and causes much strife. What's wrong with simply living your life without having to be a champion of something?

Just because I'm hetero and don't embrace or participate in LBG... lifestyles/events certainly doesn't mean I'm against it - it's simply not my thing. No hate, no drama. But neither should I be vilified for *not* going to pro-LBG... events (marches etc...) or wearing pro-LGB... paraphernalia.

I recently started working with someone who I suspected of being "not-hetero". Later they freely/casually mentioned it (somehow it fit the context of the conversation), and conversation went on as normal. Anyways this person is frickin' awesome.... and it has nothing to do with their orientation. They're just top notch to deal with work-wise and a hoot to chat with. I'd definitely go for beers with them.
If you can articulate the situation in which you felt vilified for the wrong of "simply living your life" I think we'll be able to help you understand the way(s) in which your attitude, words or actions were, in fact, offensive and unsupportive of LGBTQ people.

Literally no one has ever been vilified in the history of Canada for "simply living their life" in regards to this topic. I've never been to a pride parade, but I've yet to be vilified for that. Also don't wear pride pins/colours/etc. and have never felt anybody's animosity directed at me for that.

I do think it's incumbent upon you to defend human beings from other human beings, though. Like, if you're with a friend or relative or whatever and they start flapping around barfing up bs about drag time story hour or something, it's a good opportunity to - at the very least - interject to let them know that they can "simply live their life" and not worry one bit about that type of thing. So really, the "simply live your life" statement is rational when directed at people who are anti-lgbtq, but it's really not applicable to the people already doing that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: