View Single Post
Old 11-16-2023, 02:09 PM   #91
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Good
Health is good. I've actually consistently maintained a work out regimen all year and feel great. Just gotta improve the diet as I'm a slim guy so I eat whatever I want. Have to learn that no gained weight doesn't equal no health problems. Generally I'm happy most days and have learned a lot with age about what I really value in life.

I have an awesome wife and two daughters. Truly lucky to have them and couldn't imagine my life without them.

I was able to take a bucket list trip to Italy earlier this year with just my wife and I to celebrate our 15 year anniversary. It went off without a hitch and was even better than I thought it was going to be.

Outside of work, I have a creative outlet writing and producing indie film/tv projects. It's challenging but I truly love it. My partner and I got a short film streaming on CBC Gem this year so that was a big win. Working on some other projects too which is exciting.

The Bad
I got let go from my job at the same time as my wife did (couple weeks ago). We've already started searching but having to cut expenses, and scale back life to make sure we have funds to stretch is a bummer. I grew up poor and told myself that I would never let that happen to my kids so this is one of my worst nightmares potentially unfolding in front of me.

The job search itself is tough. I had already been looking for a job prior to being let go and I was having no luck even getting to the interview stage. I left an industry that I absolutely hated but the money was decent. I'm also finding out that a lot of recruiters/employers don't seem to like that industry either. Reading some of the stuff on here about people being out of work for extended periods is scary. I hope nothing but the best for everybody that's trying to find work.

Worst case, I have to go back to my old industry which is disheartening. I don't enjoy it. The hours are long and the people can be frustrating. It is soul sucking because I feel like I maybe sold myself short by choosing this career path because the money was good but the year-after-year grind has become brutal. The other side of it is that I really don't know what I want to do as an alternative. I just want a decent paying desk job that's not 50-60 hours a week. Ideally, I would just write/produce for a living but there is no money in that.

Also, it's winter and getting dark early is depressing.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post: