View Single Post
Old 11-09-2023, 11:16 PM   #252
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I didn't realize Chapman is a Boras client. Yeah, he's not signing for any discount at term or price. I'm guessing based on the big failures last year, some team will pay him 5 years at $24M or so. I think most are kinda undervaluing his potential bat. We know his defence is very good, but for years he was a silently good hitter in Oakland. Last year he sucked after the first couple months. If the Jays haven't ruined him he'll probably be a good hitter again. Still not worth $25M but I can see a team doing it.
When you look at his track record, he never was a really good hitter. He had a single year where he hit over .250 and one where he hit 36 home runs. But generally he’s been a .230-.240 guy with 20-25 home runs. That’s alright production but not worth $25m IMO.

You’re right that the Boras factor is definitely huge. He knows that a one year deal means he’ll be a year older in a free agent class that likely has less scarcity than this year’s pathetic group. Chapman is the biggest fish in a pond full of guppies this year. There’s a risk that Chapman gets injured next year or has a continuation of this year’s weak performance. There is zero chance that he takes a short term deal IMO…even if it would be good for the Jays if he signed one with them.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post: