View Single Post
Old 11-01-2023, 12:12 PM   #1710
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I don't think the entire country of Canada at a population of 30 miilion can compete with China which has a city with 30 million people. In any scenario, we are giving large incentives to foreign companies to come in and set up shop.

I just don't see any realistic way for Canada to develop and produce any home grown vehicle industry that could succeed internationally. We've always just been a proxy for Detroit by giving out handouts. We do have some Canadian supply chain giants like Magna but I think companies like Magna, Mopar, etc. are going to feel the crunch when the complexities of internal combustion cars goes out the window and fewer parts are needed.

I'm big into cycling as well and all the new exciting and affordable for consumer stuff is coming out of China as well. They just have the population, manufacturing, and supply chain to create these innovations and support the investment into products that we don't have. I want a Chinese EV because I want choice.

If anything, its clear that Chinese standard of living has risen dramatically and is continuing to rise to the point where the cheap labor is being driven out to Southeast Asia. Workers in China are also amongst a small group globally who will receive the highest rates of real salary growth this by about 6% a year. The living standard is increasing and improving as they move into a fully developed country.

I'm not a China apologist by any means. My distant roots are Hong Kong. I hate the CPC deeply but I also want choice as a consumer.
Sure, but it's not going to happen for something as important as vehicle manufacturing. It's the same reason there are tariffs on Chinese steel and why the US is so hell bent on protecting Taiwan; they don't want processor production to be controlled by an adversary. Comparisons to Japan which has been a US ally for 80 years don't make a lot of sense given the geopolitical tensions between the US and China right now.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: