View Single Post
Old 10-31-2023, 12:13 AM   #210
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I was kicking cans at buying a Bowflex M5 Trainer (eliptical/stairs hybrid).

I have an olympic weight set at home and a yoga studio down the street. Also access to the downtown gyms if I get linked up with a trainer to start.
How dedicated have you been in the past with staying with a workout/exercise methodology?

Not trying to be negative, but I'd advise considering not spending a single dime for the first two to three weeks. If you can stick with it for that long, then consider spending some money to increase your efficiency.

I'll put it this way. Stretch for 1 minute a day 30 seconds in the morning, 30 seconds at night. I had range of motion issues in my hips and I was #### at keeping even that up (5 squats and 5 lunges each morning and evening). Spending money on a gym in my situation was a waste of money because my habits weren't even there for basic stretching. Stretching was important for my range of motion. Cardio, weight lifting, machines etc. will not help your Achilles and range of motion. Stretching to address the stiffness and/or physio are perhaps what you need for that first. Once you have the stretching down pat, then you can get a gym membership or pay for yoga classes and add on top of the stretches you do.

It wasn't until I got an unrelated injury and I was diligently doing the recovery activities/stretches to address the pain that I had the basic habits to add more to the activities I was doing. Everything I bought before that was a waste of money. Everything I bought afterwards I use a lot more.

You'd be surprised how much difference you'll notice after two weeks of just basic stretches and 20 minute outdoor speed walking. I think it takes double the time on a treadmill (jogging or otherwise) and even yoga to accomplish the same 20 minute outdoor speed walk. Those activities are just more focused on a specific muscle group vs a range of muscle groups.

Dancing is also underrated. Blast some music or use headphones. Just doing 20-30 minutes of basic left and right side steps is great. Especially if you're enjoying the music and vibing to some tunes.

Nothing against going somewhere to work out. I'm just saying if the most basic of your habits are improved, you'll amplify your experience at the gym or yoga studio or whatever. I'd also address your Achilles before paying for a gym. It would suck to pay for a membership only to be unable to go and immediately cancel because of an injury to your Achilles.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote