View Single Post
Old 10-18-2023, 03:58 PM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I blame the vast majority of mastering engineers in most genres (outside of, essentially, film scores and classical) for the compression of dynamics in the vast majority of recordings. When the music we listen to itself is not "hi-fi", it doesn't matter how good your gear is.

Tbh, no, although I've come across it at times while looking for equipment measurements. Seems to be a decent site.

Most of what I've learned would have been from diyaudio.com and the parts-express tech-talk forums, along with dozens of industry white papers and a few books written by industry pros
Yeah I got to the point where it was like "what is the point of buying all this equipment and the records are extremely expensive as well". There was a window where you could still get them for a bargain but the vinyl revival just killed that.

Everything is also mastered to the limits of compression (audio engineering) as well as data compression (streaming services), so there's no hidden magic to be revealed as you invest further into equipment.

This was a hobby I was really into around the mid 2010s but its really collected a bit of dust for me now. I also moved and records are PIA to move! Who knew a bunch of carbon discs would be so heavy!

As I mentioned above, I find myself using my Airpods Pro 2 more than any of my hifi when listening now. It is just connected and the same experience no matter where you are, I can walk around my home doing chores and the experience is the same. With Hi Fi you need to sit in the right place in front of your speakers and get the right soundstage.

I still really love the idea of hard assets and all the physical technology and the heritage and analog experience of listening to something in the same way people consumed this media in decades past but its not cheap and its not convenient.

I was thinking about this today and I think I also drifted away from this hobby because I would go into hi fi shops and record stores and not really have anybody to talk to about this hobby. It's pretty niche because it is expensive and not many people want to go into it. It would be great if there was some kind of vinyl library that you should share with others but records are so fragile and most people don't take care of them.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-18-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: