View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 01:12 PM   #97
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Do these WiFi6 APs not have backwards compatability for older devices?
They do. Tech I self manage, I had no issues even with older stuff. But the devices my in-laws have were settings locked by their employers who provided the device. Those had issues and I have no idea why and I couldn't check.

Basically, they would "connect" but then "disconnect" at some random point and then "connect" again to the SSID, but unable to do data transfer unless I reset my entire network so that it can connect properly again.

I got a non-wifi6 AP and it reconnects those devices without issue via the non-wifi6 AP, but if I had the Wifi6 one only, I had issues with their devices. The annoying thing with having both types of AP is that the handover isn't as smooth and overall speeds drop. But at least it keeps me from having to deal with the inlaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Did you ever get an answer on this? I am having trouble with the WiFi in our rental. It's provided by the upstairs landlord and my wife is suffering from terrible dropouts when doing her work video calls. We have one of the google mesh doo flickys in the office she's working out of, it's basically beside the docking station and is still dropping the signal.

Should I just get an ethernet cable ran downstairs and set up an ethernet switch for us?
The answer is... it depends...

The hardwiring of the AP/mesh point could help if that's the issue, but if that's not the issue then it won't do anything. For instance, if the internet speed is 20-30 Mbps, then that's a culprit. But the networking hardware and the computer she uses (ie: overheating or issues with wifi card) could be other culprits as well.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote