View Single Post
Old 10-05-2023, 09:44 PM   #61
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Green is on a club option.
Green’s options are almost as complicated as the Flames conditions on their first to Montreal in the Monahan trade. Ultimately he is absolutely going to be a Blue Jay next season but probably two.

I also qualify Chapman. He’s a Boras client so there is absolutely no chance he is going to sign it so it’s a no risk proposition.

I think Kirk is a solid catcher but he isn’t good at throwing runners out which is becoming more of an issue. As a hitter, he has lost all of his power and isn’t a guy you ever want coming up with guys on with less than two outs or on base in a crucial situation. It literally requires a triple or a home run to get home when he’s on first base. It really diminishes his value. Last year would have been the year to move him but I think every other team knows that a 265 pound guy at 5’8 is never going to be a long term solution…even as an all star his value was probably pretty low. I still would have taken whatever we’d have gotten for him to keep Moreno around.

The team needs to set some very clear expectations around fitness for Kirk, Guerrero, and Manoah. They need to come to camp absolutely at peak fitness. Kirk should be no more than 220. Manoah should be 275. Guerrero should be at least as good shape as he was in 2021. They have all of the resources that they could ever need to do this. There are no excuses. They are all getting older and bodies break down faster as they age. The need for fitness gets higher as they age.

It’s concerning to me that key guys simply cannot put themselves in the best position to be successful. Vlad knows how much better he played when he was super fit and he still allowed himself to regress. It makes me question his commitment to success.

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 10-05-2023 at 09:47 PM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote