View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #133
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
I think that this is an rational and reasonable take.
It does strike me as interesting that Huska has indicated he wanted to change both the the defensive system and offensive system from Sutter's traditional approach. In changing defensively from man-on-man to more of a zone defence, they are hoping to avoid the situation where significant scoring chances are given up if a person gets beat. Last year the Flames can largely dictate the pace of play, but they were liable for the occasional breakdown that results in a huge chance in the back of the net. To be clear Markstrom was terrible last year, for sure. However, the Flames also gave up lots of very high danger chances when they broke down. When a man got beat, it was breakaways or two on ones the other way.
I also think that the Flames agree with a lot of people around here that the strategy of simply throwing the puck on net from anywhere was not going to generate a lot of offence.
Its a pretty much full pressure style, its hard to play that way all the time. It can get results for sure, but it was clear the team was unable to grasp that style of play.

A lot of guys chasing around and trying to play around the boards and another person comes into that pressure situation which created a bunch of holes and breakdowns.

Probably one of the most frustrating things about him last year, he blew up lines, was extra Sutter grumpy but a guy who built is reputation as a top defensive coach made zero changes to the defensive system that had us giving up great chances.

He has always talked about winning the Jennings as the trophy he leaves to win in the regular season, but last year after midway through it was just finishing close to Vegas in our division for goals against. We did, but it was the highest scoring division in the league and the style we played couldn't keep up.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post: