View Single Post
Old 10-01-2023, 06:08 PM   #9101
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I find the whole "not very likeable" narrative is kinda weird. These guys all seem to be good people that like each other and don't rock the boat and I'm ok with that. Much more likeable than jerks like Donaldson, or showboats like Bautista or lazy players like Teo in my eyes.

It's not "weird". The team doesn't have much of an identity from not putting together a set of streaks this year, or overcoming some huge adversity. They're just humming through. Manoah was frustrating and was being an entitled little boy. Until the past day where the narrative came about Vlad's mom being sick, there was no context to why he was so non-chalant. That's your franchise identity and while it makes sense now, nobody knew it and it's been felt as the face of the franchise. Kirk's been bad most of the year as has Chapman aside from the hot hot start. Varsho just hasn't put it together on offense.

Aside from Manoah, none of these guys are hateable (and I wouldn't call Manoah that either). But if the team has had a mediocre identity for not overcoming obstacles, like large injuries, or have not put together large stretches of wins, what exactly makes this team (and I say team as a whole), loveable? There was nothing wrong with Bautista. The other two I could see the dislike for. There just hasn't been much of a rallying cry this year from a fan perspective to get out of your seat. 89 wins shows that too.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote