View Single Post
Old 09-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #1763
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\ Man, THANK YOU!

That's the easily the best explanation I've read so far. Ya, that's exactly what I was driving at, people snubbing the kind of speaker shown in your first pic and better to use an upright bookshelf instead. I like lower profile so will look for the one in your second pic but ya, haha, looks pricey. Buy once cry once IMO.

Basically my situation is this....been waiting years to put together a home theater. We assumed we would have moved by now but market isn't getting any better. I live in a decent sized townhouse with a basement that I think is begging for a home theater. It's well insulated for sound and a great size so figured to get started, I could pick up some good quality bookshelf speakers, a center set of sorts for under the TV to go along with a 12" powered sub I already have and have a decent 5.1 system until we move. A receiver too naturally.

At that time, I could then buy some good floor standing speakers, and use the bookshelf ones I have to round out a 7.1 system.

Is that dumb? I have soundbars at the moment and while they are miles better than TV speakers, they aren't that great. I'd really like to have better quality sound.

I'd be using the system primarily for movies (HD/Bluray, Plex and streaming), no real emphasis for music but if the receiver I pick up has someway of doing that, all the better. Room is approximately 20ish feet by 15 feet. Already have a good wall mounted TV, just need the sound going.

On the receiver end for a sec....if I bought a 7.1 capable receiver, I assume it can be used in a 5.1 configuration?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote