View Single Post
Old 08-17-2023, 04:40 PM   #794
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
MERV 3 and 6 for residential

Higher MERVs should only be used in commercial and industrial applications.

All High MERV rated filters BOIL factory oil out of the sealed bearings on dc motors overheating them , revving up the CFM , motor output and restrict air to the furnace

ALL of those pleated filters 3M , KIRKLAND, Dustop , woven filters, 90 day filters restrict AIRFLOW and Increase the heating and cooling cycles by 18 to 30 percent ....and heighten the risk associated with motor failure.

That's JUST the 1" filters .....4 and 5 inch thick box filters are even worse because manufacturers say it's okay to use for 6 months .

This is patently false , bad advice.

ALL filters require MONTHLY maintenance.

USE a compressor or leaf blower on your stupidly expensive filters monthly and save yourself $40-65 + $$$$ per filter and then see a cost savings of that same 18-30% off your gas and electric bills and SAVE yourself from expensive bloody repairs

Lastly. Get your vents and ducts cleaned BY someone ....ahem.....Myfurnaceguy.homestars.com.....whose older wiser and has 20 plus years experience and over 11 thousand residential job completions and knows how to clean inspect and tune-up the most expensive appliance in your house.

Keep em clean and filters will save you $$$$ keep the ducts clean and save $$$ on repairs
Interesting. And I trust your expertise. Our furnace company that installed and services ours told me way back when we built to just stay below merv 12. I've done that and haven't had a problem in 17 years.

I have an 11 in right now and it goes pretty dark quickly with this forest fire smoke.

In the winter I usually put the foam looking one that came with the furnace back in.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote