View Single Post
Old 08-04-2023, 09:54 AM   #28
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Not to bring everything back to Dark Knight, but the moment the semi flips in the middle of Gotham was the last “oh wow” moment I had in a theatre.

Because they really flipped a truck in downtown Chicago.

That’s something about movies, for the most part, up until the end of the 20th century.

They’re really blowing something up.

They’re really chucking a stuntman through the air.

They’re really driving cars at high speeds.

They built a 4-mile stretch of highway to film the chase in Matrix Reloaded - that’s going to look good forever.

When the Titanic splits in half, that’s a real, to-scale model.

Every movie now has five minutes of VFX names attached to their end credits, and I can’t help but think of a story from the production of Empire Strikes Back where they spent like $100k trying to get a functional robotic 3P0 that could turn its head strapped to Chewie’s back.

The solution that made it into the film was “two guys and a fishing rod”.
So using your premise that "The Dark Knight is the last time a studio blockbuster captured the world’s imagination on the strength of its artistic merit."

what makes that movie so special other than the effects were "real"?
I saw it once and don't recall it being an all time masterpiece. Just a good bit of filmmaking like we see every year.

maybe you could say it was the beginning of the end of practical special effects over CGI or something, but it's no signpost for a generation or era of filmmaking.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote