View Single Post
Old 08-04-2023, 01:09 AM   #14
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Suggest some of them.
I don't know. They're your own farts. Have a whiff.

Quote:
From where I’m sat, there haven’t been three movies made in the last ten years that are better than Jackie Brown.

I want to know why that is.
Because art is subjective. *whiff*

Quote:
Athletics are getting better as time goes on.

Engineering never stops improving - it took 110 years of innovation for cars to reach the Bugatti Veyron, and less than ten years of mainstream EV development for the Rimac Nevara to render it all null and void.

Movies are getting worse. They don’t resonate with people, and they rarely live up to expectations. They feel empty, they feel pandering, and they don’t take risks.
You can't compare film to automation and mechanics.

As for the rest, I can't think of a film that tackled everything, everywhere, all at once like Everything Everywhere All at Once. That's the riskiest Oscar winner I can think of, and that's within the last year.

Quote:
I think one reason the MCU thrived while the DCU has languished is the original movies were, in their own way, trying something new. They were trying to set up four separate characters in their own movies and bring it all together for a team up event with the Avengers.

They took a risk. People wanted to see how it turned out, it more or less worked, and they kept coming back. Of course it’s collapsing under the weight of its own enormity now, but as a great movie once put it, “die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

Whereas the DC movies try to do things that were just done, only worse.

“Let’s give Superman the Batman Begins treatment, only let’s hire a director who doesn’t have original thoughts.”

“Marvel set up the Avengers in four movies, we’ll do it in two. And hire Joss Whedon to re-shoot the thing. He directed the avengers, you know.”

“Multiverses are in right now. Let’s throw a baby in a microwave and put Nic Cage in a Superman suit and have him fight a Giant Spider and spend $2M bringing an old Kevin Smith youtube clip to life. In our Flash movie.”
There it is.

Quote:
GirlySports also correctly points to the death of the VHS/DVD/rental market - that money has been replaced with the Chinese box office, and the only way to access that is by making a movie that doesn’t say anything.
Streaming is the new norm, but even then there are plenty of films and series existing outside of these platforms that deliver a cinematic experience.

And they do say something, even if you don't want to recognize that the movie experience isn't what you remember or that superhero films dominate box office numbers.

The Whale
The Banshees of Inisherin
The Florida Project
Knives Out
Everything Everywhere all at Once
Gone Girl
Looper
12 Years a Slave
Edge of Tomorrow
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse
BlackKkKlansman
Get Out
The Northman
Moneyball

All said something and all made me go "whoa". All as good and often better than Jackie Brown.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: