View Single Post
Old 08-03-2023, 11:17 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ok, that was really an interest read for me being a movie buff. But the idea of digital destroying film quality because its simple to erase and reshoot as opposed to original film which is finite, expensive and not renewable is a unique perspective.

I'm not disagreeing because your idea has merit.

But to me it goes further then this. Film making is corporate. Directors intentionally try to create films that capture Oscar votes instead of just telling the story that they want to make. They pull elements from a can labeled Oscar voter desires. On top of that because of the pressures of the mega budget films, the Studios don't allow Directors to experiment and push. I'd even argue that the advent of child labor and general labor laws have effected the ability of a director to get the best out of his performances (I'm tongue firmly in cheek here but here me out). Look at what directors used to do to get the best performances out of actors. Kubrik basically traumatized Duvall. Hitchcock pretty much psychologically tortured Tippi Hendren to make her convincing in the Birds.

Instead now we get blooper reels and Actors that are constantly doing their own thing leading to take after take after take. I'm sure its maddening being a director.

There's literally no control by the director anymore. The money controls the process and the Studios will pre pick the movies that they want to push for Oscar consideration.

At the same time, we're not seeing all that many originally movies anymore, either the well is dry in the writing room, or all the stories have been told. I can't honestly tell you when I've seen a truly original story and a twist that I couldn't see coming.

Honestly, when is the last time that any of you had a holy sh%t moment in a movie theatre?

If you want to see a return of original movies. Then have the Oscar committee put a budget limit on films. Or simply ban big budget studies from entering their films and celebrate Film Makers that have to struggle to create their picture on limited dollars.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: