View Single Post
Old 08-01-2023, 04:01 PM   #2054
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I just think it's purposely belittling of anyone who is open to the notion of these craft being not-of-earth.

I understand your point but don't you think comparing the camp of people you've identified to a death cult may only fortify said camp's opinion that you aren't being open minded to their opinion?

You're saying you want them to accept skepticism, I agree, skepticism is healthy. But then you can't expect them to respect your opinion when you are comparing them to an obviously insane group of people who chose suicide to allowing criticism of their beliefs. It's the same level of crazy, just shooting the other way.
You'd think the topic being brought into congress would've softened some of the old attitudes and stereotypes but I guess stigma dies hard.

May have to double check in case I've experience some kind of fugue state, but pretty sure I'm not a member of any cult.

Also pretty sure no one here is trying to recruit people to abandon reality and move to the woods to watch the skies and herald the official arrival of our future overlords.

Nope, just ordinary blokes who sometimes enjoy the idea of an a non human intelligence being out there, and perhaps time to time reveling in the mysteries of what goes on at those max security air bases.

To take issue with that seems strange to me, in particular framing it like it's some kind of threat to the scientific process. Which leads me to believe there's a really warped perception of what those who enjoy the topic are like and what they actually do.

However, there does appear to be at least one skeptic here trying to recruit people to a cause, and discourage people from forming opinions of their own accord. Basically precisely the thing he fears and insinuates that the other group is (for whatever reason) intentionally doing.

I dunno, but I think the skeptics have earned some flak here. From the start they didn't come to participate in good faith, so I don't think they can complain about some reasonable shots fired the other way.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 08-01-2023 at 04:12 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: