View Single Post
Old 07-24-2023, 07:43 PM   #4572
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
A buddy of mine is trying to convince me to get a gravel bike for some gravel rides/races in Alberta. I'm game to get another bike but I'm a bit unclear on how beefy a bike I might need or want. I've been looking at the Canyon Grail & Grizl but I'm not really sure what way I should go based on the terrain we might be on (gravel roads, maybe some single track etc.). I have a dedicated road bike, so I'm leaning towards a 1x beefier gravel bike like the Grizl but I'm curious to see what folks might recommend.
I’d say try to be really honest about what you want to do with the bike. Especially with gravel that encompasses a wide range of use cases.

If you want to do races, and want something that can go fairly fast, then get something closer to a road bike with room for big tires. If you want to bike pack, or ride single track, then that’s a different type of bike.

Getting a heavy beefy bike with suspension, then realizing you enjoy racing but it is holding you back would kind of suck. Same thing the other way of course, if you get a fast bike that isn’t good for bike packing or riding single track.

My checkpoint I am happy with, and it is a fairly flexible on types of usage. Fairly fast, but still has the ability to add a bunch of mounts. If I bought again I’d probably move farther into the racier bike though, as I don’t have any desire to bike pack.

I would suggest to get a bike with room for at least 45mm tires, including for a fast racing bike.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote