View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 09:08 AM   #2023
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Been thinking about getting one. Any recommendations that combine simplicity and low cost?
As with all things, it depends. Budget and features. Most cameras aren't complete trash anymore. Just follow your budget and reviews on Amazon and you're likely to be OK.

For older cars, there are ones that have android or apple air play integrated. You just replace your rear view mirror with them or attach it to your dash. Costs around $180-220 but you get additional features of being able to stream music and maps etc. that you may not have had before.

For bare bones basic, always options in the $40-90 range. Depends on size, profile, durability etc. that you want. Just type it in on Amazon and look at the recommended ones.

There's other options that have both front and back, or just back or wireless back up camera or wireless transfer of clips to your phone etc. Similar to the old car situation, for $60-140 maybe you add an extra feature that you didn't have previously.

Micro SD cards wise for storage. Just get the largest possible of a reputable brand that the dash cam can take. I bought cheap and I was replacing cards every few years due to corrupted cards (I think due to our temp swings). Paid 20-30% premium for the good cards, chugs along for 5+ years no problem. You don't want to be in a situation where the recordings would have been more than its weight in gold, but the card was corrupted and thus the dash cam was not recording at the time.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: