View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #99
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
I would.
After sleeping on it last night I think it makes some sense for both sides and I would certainly be fan of the deal from a Calgary perspective. I look at it this way

Why Dallas does it: they just won 10 playoff games and have a new core that has emerged as borderline elite in the last couple of years. Lindholm-Hintz is a very strong 1-2 punch. They have an elite winger, Dman, and goalie. Adding Lindholm makes them a favorite in the central next year where the division is theirs for the taking until Bedard and the Blackhawk’s emerge in a few years. Benn also seemed to be a problem. He is a big ticket, big voice, and the Stars might want to fully move on. Coleman is a hometown player and would be a strong veteran on a team that wants to win now

Why Calgary does it: Johnston has been a revelation since being drafted. He had a monster season after he was picked and jumped into the NHL at 19 and put up 24 goals as a rookie. He was a pick in the 20’s in Coronato’s draft. Is this Dallas selling high on a rookie who exceeded expectations or would they be trading a future star player? Benn is coming off a bounce back season but brings a $9.5M cap hit. He played with Backlund in junior and played for Huska. Huska commented in his Barnburner interview how Backs and Benn became fast friends on that team. Benn brings some bite and physicality that will be lost with Lucic leaving but could still be a fit on the top or second line. Getting out of the Coleman contract while it still looks manageable is a win and why they would take the Benn deal back

I think this deal gives Dallas a more defined contending window and gives the Flames a potential building block for the future but also should allow them to remain competitive immediately.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: