View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 01:59 PM   #600
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I hate basketball in that regard. I don't buy that old stars were morally better in how competitive they were, because Jordan and others had some star players with them, and until the past 15 years or so the league didn't really have parity. So star players stood out much more where they didn't need to bunch with their friends. What I don't like is how blatantly the selling of "come to my team" these days, is. It's a slap in the face to fans that invest in these guys. I'm not naive to believe each pro player loves the city they're in, but to show no understanding and chasing greener pastures time and time again shows some level of childishness.
It happened back then too TBH - free agency was just more restrictive back then.

Barkley tried to team up with Hakeen and Clyde.

Grant went to Orlando to try to team up with Shaq and Pippen. (Actually beating Jordan and the Bulls in the playoffs).

Which led to Rodman joining up with Pippen and Jordan after Grant left.

Malone and Payton joined Shaq and Kobe.

Garnett, Allen, and Pierce.

Kobe trying to get Chris Paul and Pau Gasol to LA with him and Lamar Odom.

Then of course Lebron, Wade, and Bosh.

Funniest part is Lebron gets all the hate for it, when really it had been happening for 2 decades already before he did it (and probably before that too TBH with the dynasties back then).

To me it's a bit of a byproduct of the way the NBA narrative has shifted to "only titles matter" in the post-Jordan era. Your legacy means nothing if you don't win titles...so why not try to play with better players to try to win more titles.

Analysts: "All that matters is winning, win at all costs"

Players: Join up with the other best players to win.

Analysts: "No not like that"

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-05-2023 at 03:32 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: