View Single Post
Old 05-31-2023, 05:05 PM   #308
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Sandman- do you know anything about Theo Rochette? Interested in what's the deal with this player. Productive, swiss canadian background, 21, seemingly no NHL rights attachment.

I'm interested.
I think I wrote a profile on him in his D+1 year, when there was talk he might be picked after going through the draft the year before. I guess he’s grown a fair bit since then, as I remember him being 5’8”or 5’9”, and he’s now listed at 5’11”. There was talk of him being a first-rounder at one time.

In his draft year he was traded from Chicoutimi to Quebec, which was a downgrade, as Quebec was in the lower quadrant of the league, and not the powerhouse they are today. I didn’t see anywhere near the numbers one would want to see, especially for a small player, to justify him being drafted in his draft year, or D+1 year, and there was not much progression. 39 points in 49 (although he started the season with mononucleosis), followed by 30 points in 32 games during Covid. He has excellent numbers the last 2 seasons (he’s 21 right now, and in his 5th season in the Q), but that might be because he’s an older junior player being propped up by a powerful offensive team, although he’s the Captain.

That being said, he’s always been a good playmaker, highly skilled, and he’s added a solid goal-scoring dimension to his game. The knock on him in his draft year was his skating, which was good, not great, and I seem to remember that he played a bit timid back then. He will surely be invited to some camps this summer, and we’ll see what he’s got.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-31-2023 at 05:14 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post: