View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 06:25 PM   #285
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My view has been consistent, you just don't really read what people write.
Sure it's consistent. Keep repeating that. You say one thing, but then fully support the guy in charge. Mix messages there Jiri.

Quote:
I've stated that the lack of picks has been the primary problem. They've done well with the picks they've had. 2021 may prove to be an exception to that, but for the most part they've done well with pick efficiency. They've not had enough picks.

Why?
Because they are under a mandate to compete now.
Bull. It's because Treliving wasn't good at his job. He was a wonderful communicator and very personable guy who exuded confidence, but he had no plan and didn't manage assets worth a damn. That is the most important part of a GM's job, keep the system stocked and healthy. Treliving bled picks and then never drafted guys with potential to play in the NHL. That's on him and no one else. Carolina certainly managed to be competitive AND continue to stockpile picks. What was Treliving's excuse again? Oh right, he was trying to compete rather than manage the team effectively.

Quote:
I wouldn't prioritize picking guys who can play sooner. Pick the guys with the highest long-term upside. Draft for skill and talent. Home run swings every time.
Yes, because that has been working so well of late. We haven't generated a consequential player since Tkachuk was drafted. We're likely to see the majority of the home run swings from 2021 end up in strikeouts as the players don't earn contracts out of junior. When you're down six runs you don't go to the plate trying to hit home runs. You go up there and try and get men on base and generate some momentum. Flames really need to start making these picks count and turn them into at least professionals and then guys that can contribute on an NHL roster.