View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 04:02 PM   #284
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Finally coming around to this realization? This was the one criteria that made me believe Treliving needed to be sacked. He ran the prospect base into the toilet and there is going to be a hard reckoning happen when the 2021 and 2022 draft classes turn into pumpkins and we only see one or two players come out of the collective years. Creates a big gap in the system and one that is not going to be resolved any time soon. With only five picks in the 2023 draft and possibly the same in 2024 and 2025, the prospect base is going to continue to slide. The system is in a shambles with no hopes of drafting our way out it. Flames may become a team that is forced to live off the waiver wire to build some depth. A hard lesson in asset management to learned.

They should as long as they don't try and prove they're the smartest guys at the draft. Hoping they come away with a couple guys that can play sooner than later. Bad time to be thinking about projects.

My view has been consistent, you just don't really read what people write.

I've stated that the lack of picks has been the primary problem. They've done well with the picks they've had. 2021 may prove to be an exception to that, but for the most part they've done well with pick efficiency. They've not had enough picks.

Why?
Because they are under a mandate to compete now.

All rolls back to that.

The whole smartest guy in the room thing is tiresome and a rather empty criticism. I don't think this current scouting group has a habit of going way off board. You can find exceptions (Boltmann) but do you want them to just grab the latest copy of THN's draft preview and pick from that?

I wouldn't prioritize picking guys who can play sooner. Pick the guys with the highest long-term upside. Draft for skill and talent. Home run swings every time.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: