View Single Post
Old 04-27-2023, 08:01 AM   #1235
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
So why don't taxpayers just pay for the whole thing? Why ask the Flames to pay anything? I think most people here are happy that a new arena is being built. The consternation isn't around whether a new arena is needed or not, it clearly is. The debate is how much private versus public funding should go into it?

So, how much is reasonable?
I have no idea and neither does anyone else. We need access to confidential spreadsheets, which is kind of the point. We don't know how revenues get split, we don't know how much access or not CSEC gets to property development or sweetheart other developments, like, we don't know a lot.

Anyway, as to how much is reasonable, theoretically if you can agree with me that the city would one day build something like this on its own anyway, then theoretically we should be happy we are getting ANY private or provincial funding, shouldn't we? But, not really, because again, we have to understand the revenue split and how all the detailed numbers look.

I dunno, and neither does anyone else, but what I do know is the Flames will stay in Calgary. That's a big win isn't it? I think there's much to find out and there are probably some shady things going on, I guess, but that #### seems to happen on an almost hourly basis with virtually all levels of government these days so maybe I'm just massively cynical. If it means in this instance the Flames stay then that's great. I also think Calgarians massively underestimate the risk of the team leaving if this did not get done and massively overrate themselves as a "good" fanbase (it's not).
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post: