View Single Post
Old 04-26-2023, 05:42 PM   #10072
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Disagree. With age comes experience which is valuable. There are exceptions but prohibiting serving in government past 60 is wrong. I served two terms in local government after age 60. I say run if one wishes and let the voters decide. They can elect young idiots too.
You'll notice there was a little more nuance in the post. Yes, there was a limit on age in being an elected official. There is intent to prevent problems with people that become career politicians and have no real expertise beyond fundraising and don't bring value to the governing mechanism (Grassley, Feinstein, McConnell, etc.). The next comment expanded on that.
This restriction wouldn't mean you can't continue to work in government and provide your vast expertise to the actual function of government, only you can be a representative. In fact, I followed up with the defense of us old ####ers who have a lot of expertise and experience that provides great benefit to the operations of government. Go work for a specific department and bring your subject matter expertise there. Go become a diplomat and work the foreign service. But let's get people more in touch with the issues affecting the average person into the mix rather than a bunch that are out of touch with the reality facing most.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote