Thread: The A.I. Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #226
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
I don't think the hype train is quite matching the level of advances currently occurring, most of the public is at the 'cool story bro' level. Similar to explaining your parents why the internet was revolutionary and change the world in 1995. It's hard to understand something which doesn't exist in our everyday lives yet. Heck I first laughed at the iPhone, and look where we are now?

The self driving car dream is hampered by current technology and regulations. It's benefit is also negligeable in the grand scheme of things.

Voice assistant I always considered to be a total gimmick and a novelty at best. Telling Alexa to close the blind or telling it to have the fridge make ice, or telling me a recipe really doesn't make my life better. People's experiences with voice assistance may also explain the lackluster response when seeing AI, seeing it as a glorified voice assistant.

I was excited about the possibilities of AI earlier in the year, heard of chatgpt and thought it was cool, and as many others largely ignored it.

Companies oversell and overmarket and over promise, there's a good reason to be very cynical of claims.

Then I used GPT4. It's like having thousands of experts available to do the work and thinking for you at any moment, and be just as good as an average expert. I can have it write code for me for applications that don't exist. It creates, and can do so on its own without your input. I am currently on the waitlist to get my API key.

This is one of those major breakthroughs but it's still in its infancy. It doesn't need to be true AI (AGI) for it to be an incredibly amazing tool and at the moment it already is.
EVen the internet followed that path though. It was life changing - but it got over hyped too early. Investors went hog wild and anything that was an internet company exploded in value - then it all crashed down in 2002 or whatever.

This VC investment chart from wikipedia basically mimics that chart edslunch posted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-co...VC_funding.png

The internet changed so much of our lives - and even it got over-hyped. People have a tendency to expect these new technologies to advance much quicker than they do. Its happened throughout history - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Mania - even with things that are wildly impactful.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote