View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 12:37 PM   #87
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue is more one of compelled speech. Regardless of how you want to characterize it, wearing a pride flag, or anything pride related, is a political statement, especially in the United States. Obviously, the NHL, the NHLPA and the teams putting on these events aren't compelling anyone to do or say anything - which is why nothing particularly bad will happen to Provorov or Reimer for not wearing the jerseys, outside of some people swearing at them on twitter. If we get to a point where some team says "wear it or you're a healthy scratch tonight", then we get to the point where it's an issue. I very much doubt we will get to that point.

I don't even think these stories about players who opt out of pride night warrants being covered. It's really just clickbait. If you want to cover something, cover the pride night, don't give the spotlight to the Reimers and Provorovs of the world. I almost appreciate Provorov's "I decline to participate on religious ground and have no further comment" type of approach; I don't care in the slightest about Reimer's religious views and didn't need to read multiple paragraphs about his silly world view.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: