Thread: [Game Takes] Yotes 4 Flames 3 (OT)
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 08:25 AM   #12
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The Coyotes and their no name back end highlighted something for me that has been a recurring issue for this franchise.

This team was built from the defense out, adding Weegar only accentuates that. On paper, they have four guys who could be top paring defensemen, and a bottom pair that should be solid.

Yet the team just doesn’t get much mileage out of of them. Our defense doesn’t seem to make up for other flaws and against a fast opponent like the Oilers, they get exposed.

The D aren’t really the problem here but as a group, I also think they’re overrated. Good structure and a committed forward group, and you could get by with less.

It would also be cool to have a scoring threat back there. Rasmus is only one that really comes close.

Yeah I know they miss Kylington, but Flames are routinely playing teams dealing with multiple injuries to their D men.
The Flames already have that. Weegar put up 0.6 PPG and received Norris consideration in both of the last two seasons. He was fantastic at rushing the puck and jumping up into the play in Florida.

Yet, the Flames have a $6M, two-way, top-pairing defenseman that only averages 20 mins a game, isn't active in the offensive zone, and doesn't receive any time on the PP. Weegar also sees less PK time than he did in Florida.

Sutter's roster deployment has egregiously poor for all of the new players.

It hurts my brain that Sutter has decided to turn one of the best playmakers in the league into a grinder, and a mobile, two-way defenseman into a shutdown, defensive dman
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote