View Single Post
Old 02-27-2023, 01:16 PM   #393
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Yeah, two people who have zero scientific background are really who I want to listen to on the matter.

It's also amazing how seamlessly they shift from most stories where they talk about government agencies being corrupt/incompetent/liars/etc., but when the Department of Energy has a 1.5-year old report that agrees with their position, all of the sudden it's held up some sort of gold standard and proof of anything.

You see that a lot with populist commentators on the New Left/Right. When you rely on subscribers to pay your bills, you have to give them content that makes them feel like they're smarter than everyone else. So rather than actually providing rigorous, critical insight (because that won't necessarily achieve their goal), they usually just end up descending into contrarianism. It didn't take very long into that clip to realize that they don't really know what they're talking about.

That video above is rubbish yes.

But just to help you understand better, the reason those two journalists don't have scientific backgrounds is because they are professional journalists.

You can learn more about journalism here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism
(I'm a reasonable dude to I didn't use lmgtfu)

I haven't seen anybody hold government agencies up to gold standards, it's more a debate about which one is lying the most. It sounds like your arguement is that we should hold the chinese givernment to a gold standard and ignore obvious coincidences like a coronavirus pandemic starting outside of the doors of a coronavirus lab.

So step 1 on that I guess would be blaming professional journalists for not having scientific backgrounds and then sort of vaguely dismissing the US energy department.

Criticising them, for sure. Are the facts old? It's called covid19 for a reason, but sure there's lots of ways to criticise them. Doesn't make the Chinese government the new gold standard, or the theories/excuses they put out.
jjgallow is offline   Reply With Quote