View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 11:42 AM   #12
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

To me its about just enjoying the sport and not being obsessed with the team.

I grew up in rural Illinois in the 80s and 90s. So I have been a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan. They are consistently awful. For most of my life they had no real chance at a championship. Heck, the Cubs historically have a hard time putting together consecutive winning seasons. They did finally get a world series, but went almost immediately back to mediocrity. I bring them up because they are one of the few teams with less long term success than you guys have seen the last few decades.

So for me, being a fan of a team like that just means lowered expectations. I watch games to enjoy baseball. I watch games to see how young players are doing. If they have success it is surprising and exciting, but you have to assume it will end pretty quick. Instead of expecting a win, you just want to see a competitive and entertaining game.

You have to remember, you can't control the outcome of sports, so if you get over invested emotionally, it will crush you unless your team is consistently amazing.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote