View Single Post
Old 12-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #38
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
it wasn't "bloody awful", just not particularly original .. and for a movie with all those accolades people go in with a high bar for the writing

I think we have to question just how complex a "man encounters new race on the frontier while seeking to exploit resources of new land" plot line can be

there were a couple holes and that's an issue but the conflict and motivations made sense given the premise .. though it's bound to draw comparisons to works that came before it that share similarities

hopefully they can give it a little more intelligence to throw a bone to the modern audience that requires political chatter, detailed lore and adult themes to check the right boxes

but if it wants to lean into being a kids movie with awe inspiring cutting edge visuals I hope it does just that .. if you're raking in a couple billion then even the haters are curious enough to give it their time, so you have to be doing something right

for me I just don't find the Na'vi particularly interesting .. but I would love to explore their world more so I hope this does that
come on, it wasn't just unoriginal it was absurd, from naming the mineral 'unobtanium' (I mean at least give it a throw away line like 'the scientists call this plutouranium 789 but its so bloody rare we call it 'unobtanium' for short) to the absurdly one dimensional character's, the evil military guy, the good scientists etc, why's he evil? is it in any way likely some futuristic colonisation any of this would be allowed? if you want to draw the parallel between the history of manifest destiny and the wests resource exploitation fair enough but the lazy shallow plotline that nothing is different in the future, there isnt even the slightest nod to time and attitudes changing and an increasingly complex and morally grey future maybe being likely.

The story, the character's even the language was about as shallow as an episode of Flash Gordon from the 1930's, Cameron spent years working on the technology of the film and at most a weekend on writing the script
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: