View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #8045
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I'm picking up what you're putting down, but I'm not really grasping why I'm supposed to respect this ####ed up cultural more, nor why it's some intractable position that can never be challenged.

I have a lot of American friends under 40 that have been turbo####ed by the system for years, it is not kind to those born into poverty or those who fall into marginalized groups.
I hear what you're saying. The system needs to change. The problem is corporations are really good at selling a bad product and Americans have a really over-inflated sense of self as a nation. Whatever is done in the United States is the greatest, even if every measure imaginable says otherwise. It is frustrating and requires change at every level of society. We need better education that has people look beyond the borders of the United States and learn about other countries and societies. They need to understand the history of the country other than what the founding fathers had to say. Would it surprise you to know that the great depression, the New Deal, the formation of trade unions, and the impact they had on the working class is NOT taught in school? How can you change the minds and culture of a nation if the history of unions and the benefits they provided are never exposed? The corporations have done a tremendous job burying the history of their abuses of the working class and making sure that people remain uneducated sheep. They continue to stack the deck, but do so in a way where there is short-term benefit to workers, which is what Americans are raised to focus on - the short-term.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote