View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #1940
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, it is cool to play around with watches. I've never had somebody compliment my watch, but if I do I'll take it off to let them hold it like you do. That's such a rad move.

I like making fun of my wife's Cartier. "How's the lume?" 'it doesn't have any.' "Oh that's cool, they probably put that money into the automatic movement" 'it's quartz.' "OMG, I think there's a pricing error on what we paid...those ####ers added an extra zero!"

But she did just get a red Seiko Presage and I fataing love it. What a gorgeous watch that one is. We couldn't find any locally so she ended up ordering it from Japan. Little things like that can make something a tad cooler, too.
The Presage series is a great watch. Beautiful and amazing quality + value. IIRC, you had a Seiko 5 as well? Don't forget that one and give it a daily drive from time to time.

The stories that accompany the watches people wear are awesome. I love hearing someone tell me that the watch was to commemorate a milestone or there's a funny story associated with that specific watch.

I got into a funky mood one day and decided I needed to go way over the top and get some dad bling. I went out and acquired these two watches for less than $200 CAD each because they weren't brand new:

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/p...rmore/sne457p9

https://www.amazon.ca/Bulova-97D108-.../dp/B01HGWCPQQ

These two are great at kickstarting conversations, especially the Seiko. I love that it's a bit over the top. There's been a few comments from ladies who say the Seiko is gigantic on their wrist, but it still actually looks really good to them as if it were a really nice cuff bracelet. Lots of them seize up when I put the watch in their hands. They all often think it's an ultra expensive watch and then relax when I tell them what I paid for it. I especially loved how these two were relatively inexpensive and seemingly more accessible/noticed by non-watch people.

I still love my dressier watches, but they are a little too serious and don't start conversations with non-watch enthusiasts like those two do. Another watch I own that starts up a ton of conversations is my Orient Black Mako:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because it's a dive watch, I wear this one for water activities a lot and I hop into the hot tub with it on. Perhaps it's not great for the watch, but oh well. It was inexpensive, dive quality water proof and I can easily track how long I've been in the hot tub using the rotating bezel. The conversation often starts with, "OMG! You forgot to take your watch off!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's fair. I guess I've watched too many YouTube videos where they talk about Hamiltons being "entry level," "starter," or "affordable."

Same thing the RV dealer did to me when I bought my 18' trailer years ago..."this is a good little starter RV". I still have it; nothing starter about it hah.
People use these descriptions for houses as well. First world problems I guess.

Seriously though, Hamiltons aren't my style, but I'd never say they aren't nice.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: