View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #5094
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I've seen a deck like that. The underboards will continue to rot and cause unevenness at best, and at worse the deck won't drain proper and your joists start rotting.

Aesthetically it is not pleasing.

Best way to pull up old deck boards is a digging bar. Jam it between boards and pull. The weight of the bar does the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Our summers are dry, and winter is wet. The expansion and contraction with each season is extreme and I’d guess you would have some pretty serious warping and the rot underneath would only happen quicker as the moisture won’t fully dry. I think you are only looking to create tripping hazards and to shorten the life of your new deck boards.

I would not do this with composite boards either. Composite boards have a real wood component to them. Usually a wood flour.

Source: I was a sales rep for a major composite decking brand for years and probably sold a few million board feet of lumber.

Thanks for the confirmations...I wasn't crazy about the idea, but it was hard to refute in the moment since he brings most of the tools and 'experience'.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: