View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #5089
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Thoughts on laying new deck boards (wood) over the existing ones (instead of removing)? The current deck is generally still in very good shape, but the boards are laid on a 45 and a few of the edges are rotting. Spot repair won't be very efficient, and it's only a matter of time before more edges rot.

My dad is suggesting to just lay new boards straight and on top (still screwing into joists which are in great shape). Google tells me it is a somewhat common to do that with new composite decking, but there is some risk of moisture trapping between boards which would shorten lifespan of new boards. Big issue here in our relatively dry climate?

Our summers are dry, and winter is wet. The expansion and contraction with each season is extreme and I’d guess you would have some pretty serious warping and the rot underneath would only happen quicker as the moisture won’t fully dry. I think you are only looking to create tripping hazards and to shorten the life of your new deck boards.

I would not do this with composite boards either. Composite boards have a real wood component to them. Usually a wood flour.

Source: I was a sales rep for a major composite decking brand for years and probably sold a few million board feet of lumber.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post: