View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 11:15 AM   #5
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

For any HDR TV you look at buying, check the RTINGS.com guide on it. The Samsung S95B only hits 1,000 nits of peak brightness in the 2% and 10% windows, and sustained 1,000 nits in the 2% and 10% windows, which isn't very much. The brightness drops off very dramatically outside of those. The Sony A95K never hits 1,000 nits, nor does the LG G2.

This is the reality of OLED. Amazing colour reproduction, the blackest of blacks, but they do not have the brightness of a VA panel so HDR is nowhere near as impressive as it should be.

My Samsung Neo QLED (QN85A but it's the 85" so it's the QN90A's VA panel) will hit well beyond 1,200 nits for all but the 100% peak and sustained windows. The last TV I bought before that was the KS8500, which also had really good peak brightness in HDR, though the tech was quite new, so sustained was never greater than ~540 nits.

My take is that HDR10 is awesome (and good enough, frankly). I haven't seen anything that makes me think Dolby Vision is worth the extra money it costs to get a TV capable of reproducing it faithfully.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: