View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 12:44 PM   #2058
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think in practice it ends up being both. The actor is perfectly competent, or sometimes great, but the decision to cast them is made at least partly for ideological reasons. Sometimes someone involved in the production will say so explicitly, I.e. we wanted a diverse cast, and others it's not but seems obvious.

I don't know that it is weak in all cases, but leaving that aside, saying "don't cast black people" is definitely different than saying, "don't make skin colour a primary consideration when casting".

And yeah, I think it seemed pretty obvious that there was a deliberate choice about wanting a black little mermaid. I think that's actually great if the point was to have girls who look like that actress see themselves as a Disney princess. Couldn't care less. I think it was actually a lot about press and money, though, obviously. Meh. Whatever. Who cares.
Let's say skin color was a consideration when casting (in LOTR or Little Mermaid, whatever). What you're saying, intentionally or not, is that these people have an issue when that skin color isn't white. You never hear about wokeness when actors are white, or when other decisions regarding physical attributes come into play (unless it's Jordan Peterson complaining about the girl on Sports Illustrated, which adds to my point).

Woke, in this case, is just a stand-in for "I don't like to look at that" with a racist flavor because nobody actually believes casting a Black person somehow made the writing worse. That's an insane thing to believe and the fact that you're excusing it as "not weak in all cases" is ridiculous. It defies any logic whatsoever.

So you can find it as obnoxious as you'd like, but you've proven the point I made with what I said by offering plainly ridiculous alternative scenarios where these people might be upset. When white people that don't look anything like a white character are cast, it's "bad casting," but when a Black person is cast, it's "woke."

It's a dog whistle. Which was my point. Sorry you were offended that my comment came off a little too broad but you're not being honest if you're pretending it isn't. The majority of people who use it aren't classical liberal academics pining over the days of freedom expression hampered by a passionate yet misguided youth movement around identity. Time to come into the real world.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote