View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've been a reader my whole life. My tastes sometimes change, generally I always like sci-fi but other stuff will come and go.. fantasy, general fiction, coming of age, biography, science, but I'm usually always reading something.

But it seems the past few years I'm having increasing difficulty staying engaged with a book, even one I really like or by one of my favorite authors.

I have dozens of unfinished books.. re-reading something seems to engage me a lot more.

I'm wondering if this is an age thing? Like as we get older do we want the comfort of the familiar more than new experiences? Kinda like the stereotypical old people hate the music of kids these days?

Or maybe it's just hard to find really good books and the more you read the higher your standards go?

Anyone else experience this?

I guess maybe I've gone through spans when I haven't read as much and maybe I'm just in one of those, but it's been going on for a while.

I guess the other possibility is my attention span has been obliterated by YouTube and TikTok and the ever decreasing length of entertainment.. If I'm not amused in 10 seconds then keep scrolling...
For me at least.. its the last option. I have no attention span anymore. But if I'm completely disconnected in a place with no signal - I can read multiple books in a week. But if I'm at home or near my phone/tablet - sitting and reading for a hour is difficult.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post: