View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #121
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I finally read the book, and watched the movie as soon as I finished. I had remarkably remained completely spoiler free *YES!* and thus was shocked halfway along by the pacing and knew they wouldn't finish the first book. But, overall it was phenomenal.
The only nitpick I have is that they changed a large part of the galactic political balance by revealing the spice's worth and use to the spacing guild to all participants so early on. It removes a huge amount of the political intrigue and reasoning for the emperor to betray the Atreides. However, I think the movie did a remarkable job at staying abreast with the books otherwise; the visuals were stunning and remarkable, the music was bang on. Kynes being female was a bit strange (females are respected but treated largely like chattel among the fremen...) but the movie was fantastic.

As an other aside, why isn't this book talked about more?!!? I couldn't get into it when I was younger, a bit to heavy and dry at first (lol... like arrakis) but now that ive read it all it has EVERYTHING to be desired in science fiction. What a remarkable story. I am almost nervous to read more in the series as the balance between known/ unknown in this universe is tantalizingly perfect as is. What a book.

Edit: It took me getting covid to read a full fiction book. How pathetic of a life statement is that? new dad problems I guess. I just read the thread and see that people are getting feathers ruffled about book talk. I don't think I spoiled a single thing in my book mention so I am leaving it. What a wonderful book, and a fantastic adaptation on screen. I am beyond excited to see part 2.

Last edited by Monahammer; 07-27-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: