View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 12:18 AM   #288
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
So Poilievre clearly has promoted usage of bitcoin and crypto in general, something that the general public is frankly scared about, knowing little about it.

Did I miss a tweet where he decided to pledge to the CAD to bitcoin or something, build a crypto reserve at taxpayer's expense and pull an El Salvador?

The only things i can find are alleged remarks he did a month + after bitcoin has been freefalling (which isn't hard when the whole world economy is crashing). And they all seem to misinterpret a shawarma tweet he did and how he bought a shawarma with bitcoin.

Unless he erased his tweets and I'm blind as a bat, I haven't found anything of major substance to be deemed scary relating to bitcoin he said.

I have a pretty poor opinion of bitcoin and crypto in general as an investment, seeing it as an overhyped ponzi scheme, but I see the same with some growth stocks like Tesla.

Tesla is down 40% from the similar time that Poilievre made his supposed remarks. Would buying an EV and promoting Tesla be mocked? Ironically, one of the biggest bitcoin investing companies is Tesla.

And PP has done some pretty stupid stuff of late most notably his reaching out to the freedumb convoy and mocking masks.

But I fail to see what he said or pledged relating to crypto that is scary.
Suggesting people can “opt out” of inflation with crypto.

Demonising the Bank of Canada and suggesting it stands in the way of freedom and liberty.

Suggesting people would have more control over their money with crypto.

It’s scary because this is a guy who was the finance critic and is gunning for the top job and he’s spreading straight up bad financial information to Canadians. As I already said, if anyone was swayed by his passionate promotion of crypto, they’ve lost 40% of the money they put in. He rambled on about how it’s unfair the Bank of Canada controls our spending power and how inflation is all their fault, and turns around and touts something that would have absolutely destroyed people’s spending power, which would have been completely out of their control.

To the Tesla comment. No? You don’t drive a Tesla because the stock price is high, so why would the stock price going down impact your decision to drive a Tesla? It literally makes zero difference. You buy a Tesla, and the stock could be $1B or $10K and you still have your Tesla which functions exactly the same either way. What was your point there?

And hey, if none of that gives you any cause for concern and PP is all good in your books, great. But C-11 has literally zero relevance to PP and whether he’s good or not. It’s always possible that “the narrative” is just reality, and that both what “the narrative” suggests is bad and what you suggest is bad are both, in fact, bad. It’s not like trust is distributed evenly so that if one politician has 10/100 the other politician must have 90/100. Doesn’t work that way.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: