View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 04:35 PM   #186
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
https://twitter.com/globeandmail/sta...RRBlfm9FCxldvQ

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendocino (Marco Mendacious, amirite) being pressured to resign after repeatedly lying in the House and in Committee, that the Trudeau government only invoked the Emergencies Act because law enforcement told them it was required. A position the agencies state is false.
Sounds like convoy hits, police can't stop it after far too long, government asks what they need to stop it, police say what they need, government recognizes that it requires the Emergencies Act to be invoked, police agencies say yeah that would stop it, government invokes it, convoy ends.

Mendocino characterizes this as "The advice we received was to invoke the Emergencies Act" and " It was on the advice of law enforcement that we invoked the Emergencies Act. It was necessary and it worked."

Committee members asks top police of the agencies if they directly asked for the government to invoke the act. They say no they never directly asked, just that they had consultations about it and agreed that it would give them the tools necessary.

Pierre Poilievre and the right-wing media cherry pick quotes to make it seem like Mendocino was lying and the idiots believe him.

Is that a fair summary? What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interim Chief Steve Bell
Our goal from the outset was always to remove this protest safely. Doing that required careful coordination between all of our policing partners to develop a strategy that would ensure a safe resolution. All three levels of government responded with legislative measures that aided our strategy. I want to thank the City of Ottawa and the Ontario government for the changes brought forward. I also want to thank the federal government for invoking the federal Emergencies Act.

From a policing perspective, the legislation provided the OPS with the ability to prevent people from participating in this unlawful protest
; to restrict people from travelling to any area where the unlawful protest was taking place; to secure protected places and critical infrastructure; to create and maintain the secured area to prevent people from violating the act and safely remove people who were attempting to do so; to go after the money funding the protest; and to require third parties to assist us in removing the heavy vehicles that were clogging streets and creating a safety hazard. It was a critical piece of our efforts, but it was only one piece.
I would like to publicly thank Commissioner Carrique and Commissioner Lucki for the amazing support they provided throughout this. When it came to our interactions with various levels of government, our sole focus was identifying how we could access the resources and supports we needed and how we could leverage adequate tools, including the legislative changes like those in the Emergencies Act, which we ultimately received. When it came to political and government operations, those were the only things we focused on.
As I indicated in my statement, and as Commissioner Carrique reiterated in his opening statement, there were several factors and several pieces that needed to come into play for us to be able to successfully and safely end the occupation of our streets.
One of those pieces were the injunctions levelled within the city of Ottawa. Another piece was the provincial state of emergency and Emergencies Act that were implemented. The final piece was the Emergencies Act. They all provided different components, legislation and tools for us that were utilized to ultimately and successfully take down the demonstration that was occurring.
Beyond the tools we had, we needed to amass the resources. We did ultimately have just shy of 2,000 police members attend our city streets in order to be able to successfully dismantle this.
We needed not only tools but resources and the plan. That all culminated in the ultimate takedown that you were able to witness.
The emergencies measures act specifically provided us with authorities to utilize those officers who attended. It specifically provided us with authorities to exclude vehicles and pedestrians from the area, authorities that we did not have prior to it being invoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissioner Thomas Carrique
The province's Critical Infrastructure and Highways regulation, under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, and the federal Emergencies Act were effective supplementary tools needed to help protect critical infrastructure and ensure the continuous and safe delivery of essential goods and services, while at the same time maintaining—or in the case of Ottawa, restoring—peace, order and public security.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Director David Vigneault of CSIS
Throughout the events of January and February, CSIS remained engaged with the RCMP and other law enforcement partners to ensure the timely sharing of information. As you know, the definition of public order emergency in the Emergencies Act refers to “threats to the security of Canada” as defined in the CSIS Act.

In determining if a situation rises to the level of a public order emergency, the Governor in Council can consider multiple sources of information, not just CSIS intelligence. Indeed, CSIS is but one among the various federal departments and agencies whose collective advice ultimately informed the decision by the Governor in Council to invoke the Emergencies Act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissioner Brenda Lucki
On February 14, the Government of Canada provided law enforcement with additional tools. The measures enacted under the Emergencies Act provided all police officers across the country—not just the RCMP—with the ability to deal with blockades and unlawful public assemblies. The emergency measure regulations supplemented existing authorities and provided new instruments for law enforcement to address these illegal blockades.
Let's look at some concrete examples.
First, police were able to maintain a secure perimeter throughout the national capital region, and refuse entry to individuals travelling to the illegal protest with the intent of participating. Second, supporting an illegal assembly was also prohibited, and police had the enforcement authority to arrest individuals who continued to supply fuel, food and other materials to an area of an unlawful assembly. Third, there were new powers to compel individuals to provide essential goods and/or services for the removal, towing and storage of vehicles and equipment. I delegated these powers to the OPP, which used them to secure needed equipment to clear the streets of Ottawa.
...(In response to a question of when she was first informed about the Act being potentially invoked)
We spoke about it. I don't have the exact date in front of me, but I would say within the week before, when I was given the situational reports, there were discussions and various talks about the Emergencies Act
...(In response to a question if she saw the need for invocation of the act before it was invoked)

Well, I can tell you from an RCMP perspective, for example, we were in the midst of trying to enforce at Coutts, for example, and we could not enforce because we couldn't access any tow trucks. We weren't able to do the enforcement that we needed on the days that we wanted to enforce because we had no authorities to force the tow truck drivers to assist, and all of them refused to provide the service.
...(In response to if she directly asked for the act).
No. We actually reached out to various police agencies when there was talk about some of the authorities that they were proposing, and of course we were consulted. We were the ones who would be using those authorities, so we were consulted to see if these would be of any use to police in the context of the “freedom convoy”

My favourite:

Quote:
Vernon White: Commissioner Lucki, we've heard multiple times from ministers and others that the Emergencies Act and the tools provided were specifically requested by police leadership. As a law enforcement agency with primacy in national security, did you ask the government or representatives for the invocation of the Emergencies Act?

Brenda Lucki No, there was never a question of requesting the Emergencies Act.
There was a question of—

Vernon White: I'm sorry. I don't mean to interrupt. So you never asked for it.
Lol, nice interruption mr. conservative senator. Got his answer, didn't want an explanation.

Even if Mendocino said they had asked, which I'm not seeing, it wouldn't be worth the correction. So no, none of the agencies appeared to have directly asked for it, just strongly suggested it was needed during consultation.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post: