View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 03:45 PM   #753
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I am usually pro-preservation when it comes to historic buildings if I had to pick one direction or the other, as redevelopment can include restoration while respecting heritage... but often times, I think people get too nostalgic / sentimental about buildings that are no longer in use and are likely impeding growth as cities grow. Many of these proposed buildings for demolition are dilapidated and are sitting empty / underused as is. I say in this case, make way for progress. That is a very, very central / high-value block that can be a catalyst for other development in the core going forward (hopefully residential), something that has consistently been needed in this city since the 1970s. Plus, not everything in that block will be destroyed.

We don't keep most cars that become outdated, or appliances or clothes (we buy new goods), so why don't we hold buildings to the same standard? Sure, keep ones that have a unique history and still can serve a physical purpose; keep them if you have the resources to restore or modernize them (the St. Louis Hotel and the King Edward Hotel come to mind). But we should really not let nostalgia, NIMBYism and predictable fear of change get in the way of something that can be transformational for an urban core, likely resulting in something greater than the sum of its parts.
I couldn't disagree with you more here.

The site in question is one of the few full blocks of preserved history this city has left. They have some of the few venues downtown that people want to be around after working hours. We have so little history in this city precisely because we have torn it down over the last 5 decades, bit by bit.

It would be an absolute shame to tear this block down to build yet another bland high rise tower that will be cheaped out on once oil prices drop again. And I don't think this will be the catalyst to anything except even higher office vacancies and a further depressed condo market.

Here are a few examples of what we've lost in the last 15 years. Most examples saw a building that needed some TLC bought, neglected and torn down in favour of shiny new skyscraper that made the developer a tonne of money. Individually no cause for alarm, but many examples over decades it leads to a soulless downtown that is avoided after working hours.

Penny Lane Mall torn down to become Eighth Avenue Place:

NSFW!

Art Central torn down to become Telus Sky.

NSFW!

The York Hotel torn down to become a bunch of benches (despite the developer promising to rebuild it).

NSFW!

The Calgary Herald building torn down to become Brookfield Place.

NSFW!

Strictly as office buildings, the examples are great. But once the business day is done they offer nothing to the people that don't work in them. I work in Brookfield, and it's a place to be inside from 7-4 and anytime outside those hours there is no reason to be anywhere near it.

I hope this proposal is immediately shot down.

Last edited by shermanator; 05-16-2022 at 03:51 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post: