View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #3576
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular_John View Post
So say guy hasn’t owned a bike in 15+ years, but is interested in a basic commuter/city bike for getting to work and running basic errands.
  • Should I be renting first to determine a preferred style of bike?
  • Any recommend shops for a clueless bike Luddite?
  • For those who commute North of DT, what’s the best strategy for the massive hill into Crescent Heights/Renfrew area?

I’ve no interest in spandex or performance gear, just looking to expand my human powered radius.
I live in Renfrew and there are several options you can take for the hill. I sort them by my personal preference:

1) Telus Spark switchback - essentially take a longer way home on the river pathway from downtown and then go up the switchback that dumps you at Tom Campbell's dog park. Probably the easiest climb of all the options and also pretty nice. It's about 4km longer ride though versus a more direct route.
2) Go up 9a St from Bridgeland up to Renfrew. it's a very long but much more gradual grade. I prefer riding down this road in the morning versus back up it again at the end of the day. I take this route most when I'm pressed for time.
3) Crescent Heights walking path - I basically never ride this one. Too many pedestrians and the grade is pretty steep. I also don't like riding across Centre St. and Edmonton trail.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post: