View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #6632
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Industry tried a pipeline to the north(Mackenzie gas), but approval took so long they eventually walked away in 2017(low gas prices and increased costs had a big impact on that). That was to bring gas south, so different goals, but the result probably would have been similar with export.

Industry will do whatever makes financial sense. Blaming them for not engaging in nation building goals is misunderstanding how industry works. Money.
You're definitely hitting the nail on the head as far as why I blame industry. Money. They didn't think ahead on who their customer was or lack of diversity in that customer base, and that resulted in short term gain, with long term pain. Every producer in Canada assumed an almost infinite market for their product in the US. When the LNG projects did start to be proposed they underestimated the political risk.

At the end of the day, the gas infrastructure in North America is well connected. LNG terminals anywhere on the continent expands the system capacity. The only difference is Canada is at the end of the pipe, so transportation costs are greater.

When industry begs for pipes, they really just want a subsidy from the government in my mind on higher transportation costs, and for myself I see other sectors that should get those funds.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote