View Single Post
Old 04-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #1819
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
When the kamado joes or compatible grills are at Costco are they a much better deal than BBQ Galore? Also do the smaller ones start up faster? We’re just a family of 4, not a lot of regular entertaining, so it would be maybe one whole chicken, or 4-8 burgers, or 4 steaks, typical use case. Otherwise just random attempts to smoke different meats.
I have found it a bit hit and miss with Costco and they don’t always seem to have the Kamado style each year. I seem to recall you’ll save a couple hundred bucks for a lesser known brand, but obviously less selection for size, etc. And of course, Costco has a great return policy on everything.

I have a large big green egg after humming and hawing about an XL. There have been a few times that having an XL would have been nice, but I have done big turkeys and briskets without an issue. I wouldn’t recommend going any smaller though, I think you’ll find once you start smoking you’ll fall in love and start to do more and more meats. We like to do up the three whole chicken packs the pork tenderloin packs from Costco and put some in the freezer for easy chicken soup or pulled pork.

The treager style units are definitely more user friendly for lighting and keeping the right temperature, but I do love the big green egg.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post: