View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #164
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Question...

I was a contractor WFH for the last two years...

In addition to the corp deductions i claim for my home office...can I claim personal tax deductions as well ?
Interesting question.

Firstly I think that would depend on how you're structured. If you're a sole-prop then the answer to that would be 'No.' You're already getting WFH deductions, so you cant claim twice.

If you're incorporated and claiming home expenses as part of the operation of your business then I think it would depend on how you claim income.

If you structured it so that your corporation pays you a Dividend then again the answer would be 'No.' Because that income is a return on investment rather than 'Employment Income.'

If however you take a T4 from your business or other considered 'Employment Income' then perhaps a case could be made, but that would be a serious grey area. You technically would still be making the same claim twice on the same income. There might be a work-around for it, but I think in the spirit of the claim itself you'd effectively be claiming the same thing twice at two different levels of taxation.

For the potential benefit versus the pain of defending it I'd say no again and would advise against it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: